Sunday, September 24, 2006

Server Situation Summary

OK, I currently have two servers:
tuxbert: Dual Katmai PIII 500MHz, 1GB ECC RAM, 40GB drive
lilobert: AthlonXP 2000+ (1667MHz), 512MB non-ECC RAM, 40GB drive

You will notice that tuxbert now has a new drive in, which is working nicely and is twice the size. I'm currently in the process of testing another 256MB of RAM in lilobert (a sister of the stuff I sent back to China).

As far as OddJoth set-up goes, tuxbert is the web server and lilobert is the Subversion repository server. I haven't set up the web server as yet, but the Subversion repository is functioning fine (though not for the outside world as yet). I've also set up a hack (which I'm very pleased with) which uses the post-commit Subversion script on lilobert to SSH into tuxbert and run 'svn update'. This means that whenever something is committed to the Subversion repository, the web server will almost immediately have the updated version.

As far as non-OddJoth uses are concerned, I'm going to set up a personal backup system (using rsync) and I'm looking into an FTP server (although there are bandwidth concerns, so I may need to consider setting up restrictions on the times the server is running). I've also set up tuxbert as a local Portage mirror (although for some reason the cron job that should be updating it every night isn't working ATM).

As for expansion, I'm still on the look-out for a case as well as any whole computers people have going. I'm hoping I might be able to nab Andrena's old computer (as she now has a shiny new laptop)...

No comments: